Can you believe that it’s already August? Rhetorical question, I suppose. Now that I’ve gone back to school again myself, I’m feeling all the angst that kids do—where did the summer go, can I still get x, y, z done? Will I like my new teachers?
And speaking of school starting, I wanted to share one of the insights I had long ago about school kids and healthy eating.
After a long day at school (or daycare or after school care), kids or teens are usually seriously hungry when they step in the door.
This means that foods they’d usually turn their noses up are going to look good. Sooo, it’s a perfect time to add some nutrition that’s still fun–like this Watermelon Feta Salad. Fruit, vegetable (cucumber has more nutrition than I’d thought!), protein… even calcium. That will start the night off right!
This Watermelon Feta Salad is easy to put together and would be equally at home for any summer picnics and potlucks still coming up. It’s definitely on my party serving list!
‘Cause I plan to make the most of summer!
- • 1 cup chopped Cucumber
- • ½ cup julienned mint leaves
- • 1 cup Feta cubes (5-6 ounces)
- • 4 cups Watermelon balls or cubes, drained
- • 1 bunch Red scallions
- • 2 T lime juice
- • ¼ cup olive oil
- • 1 T Honey
- • Pinch of salt
- Place cut (balls or cubes) watermelon in a strainer over a bowl, to let some of the juice drain out. Cut the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Discard the watermelon juice that has drained, then combine the watermelon pieces with the remaining salad ingredients. Toss with the dressing.
- Can be eaten immediately but it is better if refrigerated briefly to let the flavors blend, then tossed again.
Check out all of the Back to School Recipes:
Air Fryer Taco Sticks from Daily Dish Recipes
Carrot Coconut Muffins from That Recipe
Cupcake Cones from A Day in The Life on the Farm
Easy, Peasy Chocolate Smoothie from Our Good Life
Fresh Fruit Yogurt Parfaits from Blogghetti
Pizza Muffins from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Salted Caramel Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Watermelon Feta Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Fun Stuff & Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Harvest Vegetable Broth from Scraps