Summer is prime picnic, potluck and outdoor party time! Hooray!
I am always delighted to bring an edible contribution (anyone surprised?)–and dips are perfect for any spread. A longtime favorite is a Smoked Fish Dip that I make with Lake Michigan Whitefish but which would work with almost any smoked fish.
I was especially happy to make it this year. You see, when I first realized that the Fourth of July was on a Wednesday, I was disappointed… no long weekend? How much fun would that be?
In the end it was even more fine since I got to celebrate twice. Fireworks on the 4th with one group of people, more fireworks and different people on the 7th. And twice as much party food.
Bring on the dip!
Smoked Fish Dip
- 2 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1 T dill
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1/4 c finely chopped onion (or 1 T dried minced onion if you are short on time)
- 1 T black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs smoked whitefish (6 inch piece), with skin and bones removed
- Crackers for serving
1. Blend the cream cheese until smooth
2. Mix in the remaining ingredients adding fish last.
3. Serve with crackers (or veggies or other dipper of your choice)
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this dip is a perfect component of a light lunch. Spread on whole grain crackers, serve with salad and enjoy!