This recipe was a complete afterthought. I woke up this morning to the news that it was National Pancake Day (aka Fat Tuesday) and was taken aback. Right now it looks more like Christmas! But didn’t I say last year that I wasn’t going to miss it again? So I pulled myself together and at the last minute, made Crepes with Lemon Curd and Mascarpone.
Kathy, from Bakeaway with Me, had just made some fancier crepes and had suggested I try them with my homemade Lemon Curd. In addition, an Internet search on what to do with lemon curd, found just about every second person saying put it inside crepes. So crepes were definitely on my list.
With the time crunch and none of the oranges (yes I finally used up my case of oranges) in Kathy’s recipe, I ended up doing a basic crepe, but she was right–lemon curd is great in crepes. I added some Mascarpone too ‘cause mascarpone is awesome with anything fruity.
No lemon curd? Berries would be a great substitute. And if the leftovers last beyond breakfast tomorrow, I’ll be thawing some frozen blueberries and trying this again.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
- Crepe batter
- • 1 c flour
- • 3 eggs
- • 3 T melted butter
- • 1 1/4 c skim milk
- • Non-stick spray for coating pan
- • 6 oz Lemon curd
- • 6 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 2 T powdered sugar for garnish
- In a blender or using an electric mixer or whisk, combine crepe ingredients and blend well. Place the batter in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to thicken and allow bubbles to dissipate.
- Heat a small frying pan and coat with non-stick spray. Pour batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove. Continue until all batter is gone.
- Spread each crepe with 1 tablespoon each of slightly warmed lemon curd and mascarpone. Fold into quarters or roll up and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Trouble flipping crepes? Me too. I quickly moved from really thin crepes in the big pan to slightly thicker crepes in a small frying pan. Big difference!
- Artichoke Salad with Pea Pods & Mushrooms
- Irish Coffee & a Headcold