St Patrick’s Day is coming! Full of droning bagpipes, bouncy dancers and everything green. Plus some things minty, like today’s Grasshopper Ice Cream Drink.
With festivities everywhere, two of my daughters set out in search of a mint shake and came back complaining. They had to go to two MacDonald’s to find a working shake machine. Fast food? No sympathies from me!
But their excursion put my husband and me in the mood for something sweet and minty ourselves–and so I made my very first Grasshopper Ice Cream Drink. I have always been a big lover of ice cream drinks, with their sweet richness and subtle depth of liqueur-based flavor. But I’d never made one myself.
A good ice cream drink should stand up in the glass. This, I discovered, meant a lot of ice cream and not a lot of booze. But the sweet minty flavor came through. And homemade meant it could even be (mostly) organic. Ahem.
Satisfying and light, a Grasshopper Ice Cream Drink makes a perfect dessert–any time of the year! Always room for ice cream!
Happy St Patrick’s Day!
- 1 ounce crème de menthe
- 1 ounce crème de cacao (clear if possible)
- 4 cups ice cream
- whipped cream
- 1-2 teaspoons crème de menthe
- Blend ice cream and liqueurs until smooth. Adjust ice cream amount if needed so drink is thick.
- Pour into two large martini glasses, then top with whipped cream. Drizzle with creme de menthe.
- Serve with spoons and straws