Late summer is tomato season–hooray! Blessed by vines laden with juicy red fruits, they feature prominently on seasonal menus. Yes, today’s tomato special is… Cherry Tomato Pasta Puttanesca.
I am a member of two CSAs (yes, two!)–a holdover from the days my household numbered six. As a result, I can find myself with a bit of a tomato overload if the weather is right.
Excess full sized tomatoes go promptly into the freezer (cored, no other prep needed, the skins pop right off as they thaw). Others are sliced and dehydrated. But cherry tomatoes, better suited for munching than cooking, can be a bit more challenging.
Hmm, how did a hardcore CSA veteran raise 2 out of 3 kids who won’t touch a cherry tomato?
Lately I’ve been combining cherry tomatoes with cheese and green beans in a delicious gratinata. It’s amazingly good, but my youngest finally cried uncle.
Can we stop eating this already and just have some pasta? Done, and done, with Cherry Tomato Pasta Puttanesca.
For those who don’t know the story, legend has it that Pasta Puttanesca was created by Italian “ladies of the evening,” who lured in customers with the aroma. Seasoned with capers, olives, anchovies and a bit of spice, I assume the rich flavor didn’t hurt either! While usually made with canned tomatoes, it adapts beautifully for simple seasonal eating!
- • 2 T olive oil
- • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- • 1 small (or 1/2 a large) onion, chopped finely
- • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried crushed peppers (to taste)
- • ½ teaspoon oregano
- • 2 -3 pints of cherry tomatoes, halved
- • ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- • 1 Tablespoon capers, drained
- • ½ can flat anchovies, mashed
- • 1 Tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- • pepper to taste
- • 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, cooked
- Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until just soft. Add dried crushed red pepper, oregano, tomatoes, olives and capers. Cook until tomatoes soften but still have some body. Add anhcovies and parsley and combine.
- Serve over hot pasta.
- Grilled Vegetable, Bread & Tomato Salad (Panzanella)
- Grilled Romaine Taco Salad Bar