Do you like soup that tastes creamy-rich, but doesn’t break the bank on unhealthy fat and calories? Then this Carrot Soup is for you!
When I first made it, my health-conscious middle daughter wrinkled up her nose and said, “this is delicious, but it has cream.”
“Actually not, honey,” I countered, “the richness comes from ground almonds, which are healthy for you.”
I first tasted this at a CSA party, made a note to look it up sometime and finally got around to making it. The original recipe comes from the Moosewood cookbook and is an ingenious blend of options. I will include what I did here but you can find the original here if you are feeling adventurous!
When I read the ingredients, I was pretty excited, even beyond the almonds instead of cream! You see, I still had a live marjoram plant growing in my back hall–a “bonus” from one of my CSAs. Then I had a bunch of thyme, also from said CSA, dried on my countertop. And of course CSA members typically have (at least) a refrigerator drawer-full of fall carrots still lingering through early winter. Must be fate!
Creamy Carrot Soup
- 2 lbs carrots
- 4 c broth
- 2-3 T vegetable oil or butter
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 c ground almonds (a.k.a. almond meal)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 cup low fat dairy or non-dairy milk (e.g. almond milk, buttermilk, skim milk)
1. Scrub and chop carrots, and put in large saucepan with the stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the veggies are tender (10-15 minutes).
2. While this is cooking, heat the oil or butter in a skillet. Add onions, herbs, garlic and nuts and saute over medium heat briefly until onions are just tender.
3. Mix this with carrot/broth blend and milk. Puree together in a blender or food processor and transfer to a pot.
The soup works great as vegan or not, according to your tastes and/or pantry contents. Healthy and tasty–enjoy!
- Christmas Cowboy Cookies in a Jar
- Easy Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs