I’ve been eating a lot of seafood lately… And it’s been heaven.
You see, for about three years now, I have been a member of the Sitka Salmon community supported fishery (CSF). And I’m always super excited when the new season starts up.
A new season means that I need to work hard to clean out anything in the freezer from the prior year. So much great eating! It’s kind of like cooking the last of the CSA green beans before June arrives.
Last week, I was not feeling particularly ambitious when it was time for dinner, so I decided to look for a recipe for poor man’s lobster (aka cod). That sounds easy right? But instead I ended up on this Oven-Poached Lemon Butter Cod.
The dish is also super easy, and the sauce has an incredible flavor that belies the simple ingredients and stream-lined preparation. How lucky is that!
Well perhaps the vermouth in this isn’t quite an ordinary cooking ingredient, but it adds a real depth of flavor–like a shot of sherry stirred into soup. While I’m not big on buying special ingredients this one is worth a trip (or use broth if you can’t have alcohol). And happily, there was enough sauce to drizzle over rice for a seriously tasty side.
The family liked it so well we’ve already had it twice. And I had to ask Sitka to drop off an extra case on the first delivery.
- 6 5-ounce pieces of cod, about 2 lbs
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 small or ½ large lemon
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Optional: extra lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick spray then arrange cod pieces inside of it.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan (or microwave in a bowl) then squeeze in the lemon juice. Add chopped parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cod fillets
- Bake until the cod is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle with butter to serve, and top with a lemon wedge if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 35g
Nutrition data accuracy may vary with product selection, calculator accuracy, etc. Consult a professional for the best information.
- Fresh Berry Salad with Limoncello
- Apple Smoked BBQ Sauce