It may still be fall, but in Wisconsin at least, the well-loved season seems to be leaving us early. The asters shown below have been gone a full two weeks. I wish I had snapped a few more pictures.
In truth I first tried this dish last winter, but made with apples. At the start of the pandemic lockdown, our family was big into supporting local restaurants with take-out. One of the more memorable dishes was pork chops with apples and pecans. It was so good I vowed to recreate it myself!
When the time came, however, I decided to use the last of the local peaches instead. Their cheery color and warm sweetness seemed to suit my fall mood. And pecans are the perfect complement with their crunch and matching hint of sweetness.
The dish is super easy but still has a lot of panache. I served it with a salad and some roasted turnips and potatoes to stick with the “easy” theme.
- 1/2 Tablespoon pecan or other oil, or nonstick spray
- 4 pork chops
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ - 1/2 cup pecans, chopped and/or halves
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoons raw sugar
- Thyme for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 400 F
Heat an oven proof grill pan on medium high, then brush with pecan (or other) oil or spray with nonstick spray.
Season the chops with salt and pepper, then add too hot skillet. When brown on the bottom side, flip chops.
Add peach slices to pan and move pan to oven. Put nuts in a separate pan to toast and also put into the oven.
Bake until pork reaches145 F, about 5-10 minutes, depending on thickness.
Remove pan, add peach slices. Sprinkle them with sugar and dot with butter.
To plate, place pork chops on plates, stir peaches in pan to mix in sugar and butter. Distribute between the 4 chops. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
Garnish with thyme sprigs if desired. Serve immediately.
Beyond the Pie – Pecan Recipes
- Cranberry Pecan Bundt Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel by That Recipe
- Pecan Crusted Pork Chops with Apples by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Chops with Peaches & Pecans by Art of Natural Living
- Roasted Pear, Parmesan, and Spiced Pecan Salad by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Southern Pecan Corn Muffins by Palatable Pastime
- Start a Winter Bulb Garden Now (in Just a Few Minutes!)
- Lower Sugar Loaded Yogurt Bowl